Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Thirtieth Year: 26

I went to my first poetry open mic last night. I did not read... but it was a really fun evening with some really... no, really... interesting people.

If you'll allow me, here are a few observations:

- You probably won't ever hear of Larry, David or David, or Craig, or any of their work. But it encourages me when people are writing for the love of words and poetry. I wonder if we give up on our creative impulses too quickly... for so many reasons... and lose sight of that delight.

- I do not like the unknown. I would get very nervous when a new reader would come up to the mic - "What's he going to say?" But it was also a really great challenge to my very small comfort zone.

- First impressions are in fact deceiving. That's pretty cool. I loved the teenage boy who couldn't look anyone in the eye but then busted out an amazing voice and some strong song writing skills.

- The emcee sits in the corner and then blows you out of the water at the very end of the night.

- I have a lot to learn about poetry. But this actually excites me to learn!

No comments: