Knowing God is a three-act exploration of the character of God and his work of redemption. Packer is eager to deftly tease out the biblical theologies of who God is and how His character prompts His intervention work in the life of humanity through the redeeming work of Jesus Christ. You would expect a book written nearly forty years ago to dated; and while there are admittedly some historical examples that you might have to ponder over (because how many of us really understand British culture?) this is as clean and crisp as any book on theology you'd pick up today... perhaps even better. Pick up the book and read it, learn to better know your God.
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Currently Reading: Knowing God
My first reaction to reading J.I. Packer's Knowing God has been, How have I not read this before? Maybe you, like me, have a reaction to books that "everybody" reads. One the one hand this is a book that I knew was well-respected. And Packer is about as well-respected as any man could be. But sometimes I am afraid to pick up those kinds of books because I don't want to be disappointed by bad theology, bad writing, or simply by not living up to expectations. But none of those fears prove to be true here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment