I mentioned last week that I won tickets to see a screening of the new Studio Ghibli movie, The Secret World of Arrietty. May I just say, this was a delightful movie! You must, must, must go see! And take children if you know any (be sure to ask their parents permission first).
I was introduced to Studio Ghibli, and the brilliant director Hayao Miyazaki, by several different friends, though I think I finally saw several of his films while housesitting one summer. Somewhere between viewing Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro I was hooked. The animation, the story lines, the genuine delight of the world conveyed through film. Everything made me want to watch more. Though Miyazaki did not direct Arrietty, his finger prints are all over this film. I realized within the first few minutes of the movie that his signature really is to create a picture more like an Impressionist painting than the bold scenery and colors of a traditional cartoon. The intricacies and simple beauties of nature are well depicted.
I loved the story - which is based on The Borrowers by Mary Norton. The music was fittingly enchanting. Certainly a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning!


2 comments:
Spoiler:
When Spiller flew up into the tree, I thought, "WOW! they so know what will delight kids!" I don't remember if it delighted S and R or not, but I loved it.
And I want the soundtrack. I think it will be soothing to catalog to.
I also can't wait to see your new shoes. :)
I can't find the soundtrack. That tree was thrilling... I loved it.
Also, the new shoes worked really well!
Post a Comment