Twelve Things to Do in 2011
1.Books
Where I succeeded in reading more of Wendell Berry's Port William series in 2010, I did not succeed in reading Calvin. So the Institutes goes back on the list. I also did not read The Brother's Karamazov. Perhaps this year I will conquer Bleak House. Or at least re-read The Lord of the Rings.
2. MLB parks
Would love to begin to knock parks off the list, and would particularly like to make it to Chicago this year and see the Cubs at Wrigley and the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. Also, need to go back to Busch III.
3. Finish a Novel
This was also on last years list. If you are an avid follower of this blog (all six of you), then you will know that over the summer, I was working on a story. I do intend to finish that story... sooner, rather than later.
4. James Bond
I've never really been interested in Bond. I imagine I would prefer to read Ian Fleming's novels. But, I admit, they are classics and I will attempt them. No promises. I'm not sure why I've so strongly rejected the Bond series in the past. Maybe it's the blatant sexual innuendo. Or the mannishness of the culture that goes with Bond. Maybe it's the campy, 60's sort-of-feel to many of the movies.
5. Photography
I have several friends who have done the 365 in 365 project... I won't pretend to be that disciplined. But I would like to become more skilled at photography, and more practiced at getting my camera out.
6. Film Noir
I want to make a concerted study of the genre... and probably try to read more of the classic detective novels. This goes along with accomplishing goal #3. There's a lot of interesting character studies out there, but I'm also interested in building plots for the sake of suspense and how to get to the aha! moment.
7. Plants
I'd like to keep them alive for another year. For Christmas, my mom gave me an herb planter, and that will be the new addition to the plant family... I hope Gladys, my spider plant, will enjoy the company.
8. Exercise
I don't know what this will look like... every year I think I'll change. But something's got to give, right?
9. Cooking
I began to cook and bake more in 2010, and would really enjoy getting further along in my skills. This year, I'd love to tackle a cuisine: Indian. Here's goes.
10. Music
Yes, I really want to learn the banjo. Or the guitar. Or the piano. Or something... just looking for another creative outlet. I would love to make more room in my life for live music.
11. Art
I have a sewing machine. I have a blog. I knit. I'd like to learn how to paint. Color, sound, words, beauty... just want to keep growing and learning.
12. Money
As always, it's about raising support. I can't do the thing I love - ministering to college women - without the generous financial help of others. Pray for another year of ministry!
Ten Great Things About 2010
1. Another Year of RUF at Arkansas
At one point, my account was a little shaky and I didn't know if I'd be back this year. How thankful I am that the Lord has provided greatly for another year! Thank you all for your generosity in making that happen. I really cannot express how much I love my job. I find it amazing that I get to walk alongside these young women and talk to them about their life, about Jesus and the Bible. I'm looking forward to another great year!
2. My Roommate
The last half of 2009 saw me living on my own, which I did not enjoy. I was so thankful for a new roommate in 2009! We get along and really enjoy watching 30 Rock and hanging out around the house. Oh, and the puppy.
3. James Taylor and Carole King
Wow, thanks Evelyn for such an amazing opportunity to see these fabulous artists! Evelyn, our friend Anna, and I enjoyed an evening of music and laughter. I was a little disappointed that CK didn't play 'Where I Lead' but... Sweet Baby James and Country Road and Way Over Yonder... it keeps going on and on. Such a wonderful evening to share with wonderful friends.
4. Losing Pride in my Stuff
I wondered how long it would take... and it's not 100% or anything... but I kind of finally got over the deep materialistic urge. No, it's still there, and rears its head often. But I at least see it and am a lot more likely to talk myself down from blatant "wanting" of things that I don't need. The clutter has become annoying and I'd like for that to develop into a rational desire to keep my possessions to a minimum. Pray that the Lord would continue to work in my heart in this way.
5. Summer in Saint Louis
I love Fayetteville; but I also love summer in the STL. Several of my RUF friends had moved to town, and another came to visit, and I was able to enjoy with friends both old and new these delights. Two of my former students (and still good friends) Chris and Alyssa got married! I went to Shakespeare in the Park twice, this year they did an amazing interpretation of Hamlet! I saw Beauty and the Beast twice at the Muny, also saw Titanic and most of Damn Yankees. Visited the Stone Hill Winery and the Anheuser Busch brewery with friends. Went to the Arch Grounds for the Fourth of July. There were lazy days of writing, rainy days on the porch, worship at Old Orchard, and my mom's cooking. I didn't make it to a Card's game... but hopefully in 2011.
6. Summer Conference 2010
This is always a highlight of the year - we took nine students and got to listen to some fantastic teaching on Justification, Idolatry, and Dating (among other seminars). Large Group worship and barbeque on the volleyball court. Reading on the beach and almost beating Alabama in the volleyball tournament. I love road trips with my students! The girls got locked into their room and had to climb in and out of the window for a day. Then our pipes burst one night. And there was plenty of silliness. It was one of the best weeks of the year!

I also love seeing some of my favorite people: RUF Interns. Love you guys!
7. Moving (again)
We did move this summer. So... that makes the fourth move in four years. I'm not sure I want to move ever again. But our new place is cozy and nice and a lot better than our apartment ever was.
8. Artistic Endeavors
I actually did complete a painting project for my roommate's birthday. And I acted in two short films - no really, I did. But I take no credit for them... that goes to Paul and Mark. Way to go, guys!
Summer Conference Promo #1
Summer Conference Promo #2
9. I Drove a Boat!
It scared me to death, but I actually drove a boat on Beaver Lake! We also went floating this summer, which means I've spent more time around water this year than I have in most of the rest of my life.
10. Jesus
I am excited to find that as I get older, he gets sweeter. There were deep, rough patches in the course of the year, and though I questioned and doubted and fought with my Savior, he was faithful and good and patient. I cannot begin to comprehend the depth of the riches I have in Jesus Christ... but he has given me a small taste. I look forward to seeing his continued work in this year of my life.
4 comments:
Yay, company for Gladys! She will be pleased : )
I have been so blessed to have a friendship with you. I look forward to seeing how your goals (not resolutions!) are met, even if not this year. Lord willing, you have many years ahead of you to deepen your creativity and your relationship with Him.
so the big sleep is classic noir (and where Bogy and Bacall fell in love...) so you're well on your way! May I suggest a facebook status asking for Bond suggestions? You totally don't have to watch them in any order. My favorite is Goldfinger, but the David Niven Casino Royale is... well, interesting. And of course, Connery is classic!
Regardless, I know this year will be even better than last!
Also:
MORE ALISTAIR!!!!!!
I'm definitely working on more Alistair!
Post a Comment