Tuesday, December 07, 2004

World Citizen in Training

I should be working on a paper but I felt like saying hi to anyone who acctually reads this. Hi. =)

Finals start next Tuesday; this is a different system than I am previously used to; when my dad was in school here, they had a reading week before finals. No longer. I am quite sad. But on Tuesday through Tuesday there are both assigned and unassigned times for finals. For instance, I have an oral exam on Wednesday at 10:30 and then I give my testimony on Thursday at 3:00. For the other two classes, I can pick anytime between Tuesday and Tuesday to take the test. Amazing, isn't it?

More and more I have been considering - seriously considering - moving to England or Ireland. Not for a few years, but it's on my mind. This is not a "I hate Bush/Kerry/Republican/Democrat/Fundamentalism/Americanism/just-plain-the-way-we-live-here" driven desire. Quite honestly, I love living in America and for all of the flaws of our system, we have a huge blessing to be here. But I also just want to be somewhere else. Can't explain it. I think I just want to be around more people, more ethnicities, more music and life and am slightly tired of the homogeneous culture of West County. There are still great things about West County - there are few other places for trees to grow in such an abundance and with great beauty. None the less, there is a thirst. I don't like the idea of planes, etc. But I do really want to keep myself open, and continue to grow in a desire to go and see the world. Especially Ireland and England - London? Doesn't everyone want to live in London? Not my mom.

Acctually, last night I was journaling and wrote how I would much rather live at the Kilns (C.S. Lewis' home) and drink tea and listen to Coldplay and U2 and Indian music (a new favorite - you have to watch Bend It Like Beckham!) and have small children to stay in the Land of Spare Oom (Lion, Witch, Wardrobe when Lucy meets Mr. Tumnus) and tell them stories in the garden, etc. etc. etc. It's all quite lovely and dreamy, isn't it? I'd probably end up in a student flat in a five story walk up, with no kitchen or hot water. Well, that's not entirely true. Still, the reality of the matter is that life would not be that of the gentry we all picture (tea, gardens, horses, nooks and crannies for reading great books and thinking deep thoughts) but perhaps rather bleak. Grand, yes, but not as grand as might be desired. Still, if I hold out, maybe I can still get the tea and the nooks and crannies for reading great books and thinking deep thoughts. =)

No comments: