Monday, June 28, 2010

Fiction: Title to Be Determined (Part Seven)

Read Part Six.

*********

"How was your first day with Alistair?"

Jules looked up at the mayor - Archie, her mother called him - a thousand words on the tip of her tongue, none of which were flattering to her new partner. But she knew better, she knew that the new badge sitting on her dresser created a bond of solidarity with Alistair Sterling, even if at that moment she felt nothing but a vehement hatred for the man. "Detective Sterling seems to be very committed to his job." Jules smiled.

"Oh, no one doubts that Alistair is committed to his job," Archie laughed. "I suppose I'm more interested in knowing whether or not he's capable of solving this case."

Jules nodded, "I could see why you'd be interested in knowing that, but I've seen nothing that would indicate Detective Sterling's incompetency."

"But you would say something if you saw... a reason to be concerned?" Archeie pushed.

Jules looked to her mother, who was pushing the food around on her plate, either bored to death with the conversation or waiting until she could be the center of Archie's attention. "What reason do I have to be concerned, Mayor? So far as I can see, there is a very dedicated man who is pouring his life into this case... the usual details aren't there, you can't solve murders like this with fairy dust and wishful thinking... or at least, you can't do it legally." Jules intoned her last words, meeting the mayor's eyes. "I rather feel that you are lucky to have Sterling on the case."

"He's certainly done everything he can, I'm sure. I'd just as soon have this put behind us as anything."

"I'm certain we all would like that."

"Ah, well - Preston's a task master, so I'm certain things will get done. Though Sterling's usually a sure bet to buck anything Preston suggests."

"Are they old rivals?" Jules asked, her interest piqued. There had certainly been tension between the two men that had to do with more than her introduction to the case. "I was under the impression they went back a ways."

"Oh, they do," Archie laughed. "They started out as beat partners - and the best of friends. When Preston got the job as chief, seems that Alistair got petty and expected to be brought along. Their falling out was pretty bitter"

"Though he seems content with his position on the force, not a power hungry man." Jules pushed. The mayor's story didn't sit well with her. She knew why Sterling didn't like her: she had been thrust upon him out of the blue, in the middle of horrifying murder spree, and she seemed to be too conveniently close to the mayor. But those were legitimate reasons for distrust - Jules knew she would distrust herself if she were in Sterling's shoes. Preston, on the other hand, seemed every bit the bully and was unafraid of showing even the newest member of his force that he was charge, and had given her reason already to dislike him... still, Sterling's animosity was stronger than pettiness and the struggle for male dominance. "Surely there's more to the story than jealousy."

Archie shrugged his shoulders, apparently done with the conversation since Jules had nothing else to offer to him. "I think you'll be surprised at what sort of man you find Alistair to be, Elizabeth." he said before turning back to her mother.

You'll be equally surprised to find out what kind of a woman I am, if you think I'm going to give in that quickly. Jules waited several minutes before excusing herself from the table, eager to get the mayor and his questions out of her mind.

No comments: