Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Bible is for YOU

John Wooden died last night. The one time coach for UCLA passed away at 99 years old and was reportedly eager to see his wife, who had predeceased him twenty-five years ago. I certainly hope that they are rejoicing together in the presence of the Savior.

I don't know a great deal more about Wooden. Many of you could fill me in on his accomplishments and worthiness - he seems to have been a kind, thoughtful and devoted man who loved basketball and loved Jesus. But I was struck by something this morning as I was listening to ESPN radio. The host was airing a clip from Dick Vitale, who was speaking his praise for Wooden, relating an account of how as a young high school coach, he had written to the great coaches of the era, seeking any and all wisdom to share with his team.

Wooden wrote back to Vitale and here's what struck me: Vitale said he could not wait to take his new found wisdom to his team, and you could hear it in his voice, even all these years later, the great excitement that he had felt upon receiving the missive. And I couldn't help but think, in my plaintive whining voice, that I wished I felt that way about the Gospel, about having the very word of God in my possession.

Do you share this guilt of not being excited about having the Word of God sitting on your bedside table, on your bookshelf, in your car, in your purse (all of which are usual places for me to stash my bible)? I feel such shame when I look at my bible, which only produces a further distance from the one thing that can truly give me sustenance and health. And as I thought about that letter that was written and received so many years ago, yet still produced joy, I couldn't help but to realize that what I needed was not to make myself want to read the bible (though I do want to read the bible, and I do believe that returning to the Scriptures even when I don't feel like it actually produces that fruit because it is the living word). I couldn't produce in myself the desire to return to the fountain of Scripture. But what I needed was to be convinced of the reality of the One who wrote Scripture and gave it to me.

Why was that letter so precious to Dick Vitale? Because it came from a man who embodied basketball, and who not only had wisdom to share but the evidences of his wisdom's veracity to back it up.

Why should Scripture be so precious to me? Because it comes from the Creator of the universe, from the one who made me, formed me, and who lovingly saved me. The wisdom and truth of Scripture is fruitfully displayed in front of my eyes each and every day. But Scripture is more than just a letter from someone with wisdom, better than merely passing on some information that can help me to succeed. No, it is the evidence of a long standing, abundant and passionate relationship that will continue on into eternity. In Scripture I can daily meet my Savior. I find not just propositional truths but life-changing, soul-piercing, transformational Truth.

Why am I not excited to come to Scripture each day? Why am I not overjoyed to share it with others? Why do I seem to feel so distant from it? Because I need to be convinced of the One who gave it to me. It is living because God is living. It is true because God is True. It is a love letter because God has loved me with such a great love that he sent his son to die for my sins and would not leave me to perish in them.

Oh Lord, remind me of the great love that you have for me, capture my heart with your love and let me find joy and comfort in your Word.

No comments: