Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fiction: Title to Be Determined (Part Six)

Read Part Five.

*************

Jules closed her eyes in gratefulness for the blast of cold that hit her body as she entered her mother's home. It wasn't her first choice of a refuge at the end of a difficult day, but as she had yet to find a place of her own, Jules felt she had no choice but to return to her childhood bedroom, long ago repainted and turned into a guest room.

"There you are, darling."

Jules stopped at the foot of the stairs, peeling her shoes off of her feet. "Hello, Mother."

"And how was your first day, Elizabeth?" Leslie Julian asked, leaning in to place a peck on her daughter's cheek.

Jules could smell the glass of wine her mother had just finished... Or the whole bottle, she thought, remembering one of the many reasons she had been so eager to leave home. "It was fine."

"I spoke with Archie this afternoon, and he said he's already hearing good things about you." Leslie giggled. "Now, dinner will be at 7, why don't you go freshen up and change into something less... professional. I laid out a new dress for you on your bed."

Jules grimaced, yet another reason she had fled. "I'm not sure I'm up for dinner tonight - it's so hot, and I've been outside all day, I'd rather just go to bed."

"Nonsense. Archie's coming, I'm sure he has plenty of questions he'd love to ask you!"

Jules nodded - Nothing like snubbing the mayor to round out your first day of work.

No comments: