Read Part Nine.
*********
"Who was that, dear?"
Jules stopped in the hallway and looked over at her mother, standing at the front window as the navy cruiser drove away.
"Detective Sterling." Jules answered. She had wanted to keep her mother out of her professional life, or maybe keep her work out of the rest of the life, but as Jules watched her mother she realized that the two worlds had already collided long before she had even shown up in town.
"Such an odd name," Leslie muttered as she crossed the living room. Jules could see that her face was tense and it made her wonder what kind of discussion had happened between her mother and the mayor after Jules had left. "I suppose he called you in about the murder."
Jules hesitated, wondering what would stay between them and what would get repeated back to the mayor. "We were discussing the case, yes. It's been a busy first day."
"It was kind of him to bring you back... though I don't understand why you were driving."
"That's a long story." Jules sighed. "Mom, did the - did Archie leave because he got a call?"
Leslie smiled sadly, "He's always getting calls, but yes."
Jules took a moment to gather her nerve before broaching the question in her head, afraid of what it would reveal. "Are you serious about your relationship with him?"
Leslie laughed, "Oh, sweetheart, I know that you miss your father, but you have to realize that our marriage was never happy."
"I'm aware of that," Jules intoned. "But with the mayor, are you happy?"
"What's not to be happy about, Lizzy? Archie treats me like a queen, he wants for me to be involved in his life. I was afraid that he would try to hide me away, but he's made me very visible in his campaign... you know he's running for the Senate, right?"
"I had heard. I'm just concerned for how fast this is all moving. It's been four months, and even if you've been carrying on for years, you're throwing yourself into a relationship that is very public and extremely volatile - for all of us."
"You're worried about how Archie will effect your work, I realize that. And I want you to realize that I am aware of the complicated relationship Archie has with Detective Sterling... and I have my own opinion about him."
"What do you mean?"
"Elizabeth, I teach in the journalism school, even if I am in a relationship with the mayor, I have a commitment to research and the truth - I know perfectly well that Detective Sterling is doing all that he can, I think he's doing a fine job with what he has. Of course, I think you'll bring a new understanding to the case. You certainly have the skills to break it open."
Jules looked at her feet. "I appreciate that, Mom. You will understand that so long as I am here with you, that so long as the mayor is around, I can't speak openly about the case, wont' you?"
"Oh, of course." Leslie answered, almost as if she had already had the conversation in her head. "That reminds me, the phone has been rather busy tonight. The paper called about thirty minutes ago, but I got rid of them."
"What did you say?" She could feel the threat of a reprimand from Sterling when the arrived at the station in the morning.
"It was Richie Arnold on the phone - I reminded him of who it was that got him that job and kindly asked him to give you some time to adjust to your job before splashing your name all over the papers."
Jules sat on the stairs and put her head in her hands. "You realize that I've been home for three days and on this case for twelve hours and everything has already blown up?"
"Archie has that talent, love." Leslie said, sitting next to her daughter. "Look, I know that we haven't always had the best of relationships, but you are always safe with me - I love you and I will protect you. Not even Archie can change that."
Jules smiled, "Thank you. I appreciate your willingness to let me come home."
"Well, sweetie, that was the other thing that I wanted to talk to you about. You see, Archie and I decided that it would better for us to combine households, and so I'm moving to his place."
"And what will you do with the house?"
Leslie smiled, "I'd be more than happy for you to stay here. Your father really didn't make any provisions for dividing his estate, but if you would like to have it, the house can be yours... there would be some monetary value, as well. But I doubt that Eric or Sera would do anything else with this place than to sell it, so we might as well give them the money anyway."
Jules looked around the entry way. She had certainly not formed a lot happy memories in her teen years, but she had at least some happy memories of the house. And as much as she wanted to deny it, she had felt safer in her old room the past three days than she had over the several years she lived in Austin. "I would be glad to stay here. Thank you."
"You're welcome. Now, I need to finish some work, so you'll excuse me dear. Good night."
"Good night."
No comments:
Post a Comment