Thursday, January 07, 2010

Happy New Year

Found this on my friend Amy's blog... different from last weeks post, but in the same vein. Forgive my self-indulgence.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a car, signed a lease on my apartment by myself, set up utilities.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not make resolutions last year. But I did start exercising and lost a little weight.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my aunt had twin baby boys... welcome to the family, Camden and Cole!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year.

5. What places did you visit?
Atlanta, GA in July and October for work.
St. Louis, MO

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I have a roommate, which I lacked for half of 2009.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Many dates are etched into my mind. But the Friday before Thanksgiving, when I had my first, significant car accident.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing Les Miserables.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Sometimes I think my life is a failure... but I rejoice in a God who is bigger than failure, whether real or perceived.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Swine flu in September!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My car?

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I am always thankful for my parents, who faithfully serve my brother day in and day out.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Too many people to answer, most of whom I don't know. But certainly my own, as well.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, food.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Summer Conference and Alana moving back to Fayetteville.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Million Dollar Bill - Whitney Houston

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
happier
b) thinner or fatter?
let's say lighter, not necessarily thinner yet.
c) richer or poorer?
depends on how you do the math.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sleeping

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home with the family and my good friend, Anna.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Not really, no.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Castle.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I work really hard to not hate people, it comes too naturally otherwise.

24. What was the best book you read?
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Avett Brothers and Iron and Wine.

26. What did you want and get?
A new(ish) car!

27. What did you want and not get?
Probably plenty of things that I didn't need anyway...

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Up

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Breakfast with Georgia, Lunch with Melyna, prayer with Susan, Dinner with Caleb and Alisa and Rachel, games with Mark, Jenny, Josh, Chelsie and Liesl. I turned 27.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Contentment.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Relaxed.

32. What kept you sane?
Talking to friends more honestly about my emotional roller coasters.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
What does 'fancy' mean?

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care.

35. Who did you miss?
Anna and Brady and Evelyn and my parents.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Well, I meet plenty of new people every week... I like them all a lot!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
That God is truly good and kind and generous; he does not change, he will not abandon me. But as C.S. Lewis said of Aslan (his Christ-figure in the Chronicles of Narnia), Of course he's not safe, but he's good. He is not a tame lion.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
You got the music in you
Don't let go
you got the music in you
one dance left
this world has got to pull through
don't give up
you got a reason to live
can't forget
we only get what we give.
(We Get What We Give - The New Radicals)

1 comment:

Lyssa said...

Like like like like like.

I hope to assist in creating some new memories for your 2010 list to be posted next December : )