What is it about a smile and a pair of eyes, alive with laughter and delight, that will completely catch you off guard? The complete openness and revelation of the self. It's you! The person in whom I can delight because they are delighting in another.
In this case it isn't me - I noticed that shining openness in someone else recently: the absence of fear and self-protection that is typically on their face, their beautiful smile breaking through and stealing my breath away. Not that this person is usually cross or mean or even sullen. On the contrary, they are kind and considerate. But that brief moment reminded me of the fact that we wear masks in our daily lives, and in wearing that mask, we hide our true beauty.
But to take the mask off is a truly startling event. Startling to see the vivacity and joy that lies within. To remove the guard of self-protection and see the true-self of another... no, to reveal your true self to another. It's risky and scary. But to look into someone's eyes and see that openness and love - even when it is not directed at you - only reminds me of the fact that we are waiting for the day when we will finally know as we are known. I await the day when I see my Savior's face clearly, when I can see the REAL YOU in all of your Redeemed splendor, and I can show you the REAL ME. I will laugh and crinkle my eyes like my Mimi and not worry about sounding silly. You will guffaw and roll with laughter without worrying that it is too obnoxious. And we will delight in all that God has given to us as we reign with him throughout eternity.
It was one of those rare moments when you catch a glimpse, just a hint, of what that other person will be like in eternity. The Image of God is bright in bold in that one second, shining through the curtain of our sin and brokenness. But as bright as that smile was, as open and true as the eyes were, it is only the smallest glimpse of what we were meant to be, only the merest hint of who we are going to become.
No comments:
Post a Comment