I started reading Cornelius Plantinga's "Engaging God's World" in order to have something a little different to read but still thinking along the lines of the Biblical Narrative; I fell in love with his prose and delighted in his framework for creating worldview. No matter your stage of education (this book was written for a freshman seminar/orientation at Calvin College) it will engage you, delight you in the beauties of grace and the work of Christ, and redirect you toward the framework of a Christian Worldview. Excellent reading for anyone. There is an appendix of Talking Points that could be helpful if you wanted to use this book in a study format or were leading discussion in a small group - which I highly suggest. I think that this could be an excellent book for college students to really ponder their cirriculum and vocation - if you were to do that a state/non-Christian school, there might be some objections to Plantinga's preference for Christian colleges, but his passion for excellence in educaiton is certainly far more worth stressing than a preference for a particular form of school. Educators and college ministers should also read this and remember to stress much of what Plantinga says.
Another recent read is Dorothy L. Sayers "Whose Body?" - I read this in bits and pieces on my trip to Florida; the character of Peter Wimsey was delightful from the beginning, though he was not nearly as witty as he was in "Gaudy Night". The choppiness of my reading might account for the opinion that this was certainly not Sayers/Wimsey at their best, but it is certainly a wonderful beginning and had perfectly wonderful moments (such as when Peter is reading Bunter's letter regarding Mr. Cummings).
1 comment:
I am slowly making my way through the Lord Peter Wimsey series based upon your recommendation. My leisure reading time is limited, but I try to sneak in a chapter or two when I can. I have just finished "The Unpleasantness at the Bellana Club." I would have appreciated a little more interaction with Bunter and Parker, but overall the mystery kept me guessing "who done it?" I am looking forward to "Gaudy Night," enjoying Lord Peter's interactions with the assorted women in his life along the way.
Post a Comment