It's funny how things go in seasons - summer, fall, winter, spring. Childhood, youth, college, adulthood. Well, I'm skipping the normal transition into adulthood and just simply continuing my schooling. It all seems so very different. I really can't wait for school to start so that i can get back into a routine! I go to registration on Tuesday and start classes on Thursday - my first class? Greek! At 8 am! Really, I'm looking forward to it. I love the language and will enjoy getting back into it. I have two classes on Friday and then will not start my Monday evening class until after Labor Day.
I've felt like the transition of all these things has disrupted me. As I was discussing this with a friend, who has far more transition in their life, I saw it was true for me as well and have been trying to focus more on Jesus for my strength instead of myself. I hate it when I try to do all of these things in my own strength, even though I know Jesus promised to be my strength.
I did finish reading Lauren Winner's "Girl Meets God" and certainly found it enjoyable! It is well worth the reading. I am currently reading Carolyn Custis James "When LIfe and Beliefs Collide: Why Knowing God Makes a Difference". This has been a good book, as well. Her main contention is that it is important for women in the church to do theology - not just the "traditional women's roles" like nursery or food but to get into the thick of it and really strive to know God. THis isn't the theology of the head alone - yes, get into the head, know it and understand it, study God! But, as any good theologian will tell you, theology has to get into your heart, too! As Pastor Ron said this morning, there has to be a transformation of the heart. This has been a great challenge in two ways, as I prepare for seminary. First, I've been challenged to breathe and live and love my theology - to breathe and live and love Jesus - in my relationships. Secondly, I've had some of my previous conceptions about women's roles challenged. Not the fundamentals, I trully believe that women are in submission to their heads, but I also recognize submission in not a mindless, power struggle type of thing, rather a position of leadership and care on both parts. Read the end of Charlie Peacock's "New Way to be Human" for a beautiful account of what submission is. But, I have been pondering and searching more on what my role is, what I am to do with myself for Jesus and His Bride.
So these are the ponderings of my own mind. Church today was wonderful! We sang so many of the songs that i love and we heard a young man from China speak about his home. He gave a report to us that it is not nearly as difficult for the Church or Christians as we might tend think, though he made a good point in saying that "communism is a religion, and as all religions are generally exclusive, it is difficult to share openly, but there is not nearly the hiddenness we might imagine - at least, not in totality. Interestingly enough, about five years ago I met a retired military man in one of my classes and as we would converse about politics (he was politically conservitive but, because of his previous war actions, he once told me that he didn't think God could forgive him and was therefore not a religious man) but he told me that he would give China another twenty years before democracy took over. As the cultural and economic climate changes, I begin to believe him. As the more than 60 million Christians continue to grow, I am so pleased to believe he is correct!
take care every one! I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment