Friday, August 06, 2004

A Month of Transition

I started work at the library yesterday - I was both extremely excited but also quite nervous about it and so I felt relieved to go home. But it seemed like it went well for a first try - labeling books with their call numbers. it is more complicated than it might sound to you! Life at MBU is picking up extremely fast it seems and before long the RA's will be back and then school here will start and then I will not be here anymore but at my new home, which was my first home here. I love the seminary and the people there and the students - I cant' wait for classes to start!

I also start nannying next week. I have not spent so much time with a small one in a long time so you can be praying about that. The child is cuddly and adorable and I am not afraid of him at all but me. Eventually we'll get the hang of things down but at first I expect some turbulance as I try to get myself back into the swing of things, so it's nice to start this a month before school starts so that everything isn't starting at one time! If I go slowly, there shouldn't be any problems.

I've been reading Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair which my mother found through a co-worker and loves the series and I thought I might as well give it a try before school started. I realised at 2 this morning that I ought to go to bed. =) Yes, it's good. But I need to finish the other book I started, which a friend loaned to me, Girl Meets God. Do not think that this is some girly book - it is, but not in a chick-lit type of book where it's all about getting married; no, this book is about God and how a person lives with God. So the theology isn't always what I'd like and sometimes I feel a little bit like I'm going to sick because it's all so dizzying, but it's amazing none the less. The author grew up in the South and was raised as a Jew by her divorced parents (her mother, my friends, was an old-fashioned foot-washing Baptist) and as she was studying in college (American History!) she had Anne Lamott's bulldog following her as well. And then she went to England to study for her master's and for Christ. It's a nice weaving together of Jewish holidays and liturgical holidays (not just Advent and Lent but everything else too) to tell various stories of interest. I am enjoying it immensly.

No comments: