Tuesday, July 13, 2004

A New Way to Be Human

After spending the last few weeks studying for the Bible Content Exam, I've been trying to get back into the hang of things with my reading by picking up Charlie Peacock's new book, New Way to be Human, from the library. Admittedly, the book was a little wordy at the beginning (sounds like double-speak), but Peacock's main goal in writing this book is, first to familiarize new or young Christians with the metanarrative of Biblical Christianity, showing them what it looks like to be a student-follower of Jesus. Secondly, I think that Peacock is looking at a generation of Christians (he works with both artist and non-artists in the Nashville area at the Art House) who live in a small world that focuses on them - the "I" mentality. Peacock wants us to live intentionally in light of the Story that God has been telling - from Creation to the apostles and into the third millennium... this is not about me or you, and is most certainly about the glory of God (WSC #1), but Peacock melds this Piper-esque mentality of everything being about the glory of God and a Schaefferian world view that there is beauty in art, beauty in life, beauty in drinking tea (see C. John Miller's The Heart of a Servant Leader), creating the desire to live in community with other Christians and enjoying this beauty while embarking into the world andfinding beauty there and living beauty in front of the world.
What a concept - living beauty.
The best line of the book: "I don't know exactly why I want to say this, but there's something really beautiful about an Okie [Oklahoma] Presbyterian." (Page 82)
Check the book out! It's incredible, I would put in the same realm of thought and spiritual pushing as Greg Johnson's The World According to God.

No comments: