Saturday, February 13, 2010

I should have taken a picture...

I have these moments when I think, "I should take a picture of this" and it inevitably happens that I forget to do so. Today is a chief example: I made an apple pie and could not for the life of me roll out the dough to go on top, so I cut little apples out of the dough with a cookie cutter and baked the pie. It was beautiful. I don't know if it tasted alright (I don't care for apple pie) but it looked like it was from a cookbook. Didn't take a picture.

Tonight, at the church soup dinner, I saw my friend Susan sitting at another table and I thought, "I should get a picture of the two of us tonight" and low and behold, I forgot. Add to that, I should have gotten a picture with my roommate. And I could have just simply pulled the camera out of my bag... but no. No, I failed.

This is a failure not simply to take the picture... I mean, point and click, right? Rather, it is a failure to recognize opportunities for creativity. Day after day, I see beauty and enjoy it. And while not everything can be captured and reproduced through the lens (especially with my camera... there are days when I am jealous for my father's camera because it takes such nice quality photographs), the more I am settling into my life and routine as a grown-up person, the more my eye is caught by these various moments and people that I want to stop... and appreciate for a bit longer.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am SO with you....


p.s. I'm glad you are blogging again.