Monday, January 01, 2007

The Spell of Mary Stewart

I pulled this volume off the shelf early yesterday morning (say, 3 am?) and started to read This Rough Magic, which is set on the Greek island of Corfu and takes part of the plot from Shakespeare's The Tempest. I thought that this was a fun mystery to read, though I feel like my memories of Madam, Will You Talk? were better, but that is debatable and the long and short of it, it was nice January reading. And Sir Julian Gale was a delightful character, as were the three young Corfiotes.

I pulled Mary Stewart off the shelf because I was thinking about the many books that I had read... rather, the progression of reading that I have followed, and how reading church history and learning about the Avingon papacy helped me to understand the plot of Madam, will you Talk? (though I can never seem to remember the title, which comes from Chaucer).

It was rather nice January reading. I also finished the first two Lemony Snicket books, The Bad Beginning and The Reptile Room. These are fun little romps into the world of dark humor and a bad guy you can't help but want to see fall over the cliff. I may have to save my comments for the whole series, rather than book by book. I know that you can't wait, so I will return to my reading.

No comments: