Friday, November 10, 2006

No Really, I'm Still Alive...

Seriously. I guess I didn't really let you in on what I was reading this summer, but a few of the highlights...

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde- one of the funniest novels I have ever read! The main character, Thursday Next, is a LitTecs detective and must find Jane Eyre, kidnapped from the pages of her novel and Rochester's home by the evil genius, Acheron Hades. Hillarity ensues...

The Thin Man by Dashiel Hammett- if you haven't seen the amazing movie with William Powell and Myrna Loy, you must, must, must see it! Their chemistry is amazing and brings to life Hammett's great prose and lively characters...

Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields- the first and only biography of Nelle Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird. This was a delightful chronicle of Nelle's life and career, from her growing up years in Monroeville, Alabama with Truman Capote, to College and trying to write in New York City, working on In Cold Blood with Truman in Kansas to finishing her own novel and the reason why she never completed another novel. The best advice she gave was to drive a bus for a few years before you think have anything to put down on paper...

Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers- The third of four books with Lord Peter Whimsey and Harriet Vane. One of the best and brightest novels I have ever read. The dialogue was clean and crisp throughout and extremely witty. And unlike the first two, I could not guess who did it, which is a rare accomplishment for mystery novels!

I recently read the first novel by Marsena Konkle, A Dark, Oval Stone. It took me a while to get into the story, but once I did I found her characters alive and bright. There were several places where her plot felt unconnected, but she feels like a promising and exciting new author! Check her out!

No comments: